View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
kevhen
Hall Of Fame

All I know is that I have seen plenty of club players taking lessons on learning the proper technique, blah, blah, blah and spending twice as much time on the court as what I have and very few have moved up from 3.5 to 4.0 in the time it took me to. I wasn't concerned with technique, just in how to get the next ball back and eventually my technique improved and I was able to win matches as I progressed instead of playing like how someone else wanted me to play. Many people told me I could never win with a slice forehand but they were wrong. It does have it's limitations at the 4.5 level, but not many people get to that level anyway. So unless someone has a blatant hitch in their swing, I say leave them alone and let them hit the ball the way that it feels natural to them. Doesn't mean that you can't encourage them to try new grips or swingpaths, but way too much time is focused on cookie-cutter technique. Everyone ends up with the same topspin forehand and topspin backhand and it's pretty easy to defend against.
kevhen is offline   Reply With Quote