View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #2549
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default SuperCable Pro is Super!

Here is my review in the TW format of the WeissCannon SuperCable Pro 16.

Stringing: It was eerily similar to MCS which is easy to string up. Smell, feel and gauge seemed the same. Out on the court, it was very easy to tell they were not even close to being the same string.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered multi
Feel: Average
Tension maintenance: Initial tension loss was 12% according to RacquetTune. The last reading before breakage I got was 16.5%.
Price: $9.95/set, $89.90/reel.
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I did not know what to think when I first started hitting with this string. It is not one where you feel a close connection to the string bed since there is not much dwell time. The only other string like this where I played well with it was Tecnifibre DuraMix.

Serve/Return of Serve: This is not the most powerful string but I could still get aces with it due to the accuracy. My 2nd serve did not feel like it was getting much spin but my opponents could not do anything with it and I could visually see the ball was bouncing quite high. Returns were just terrific with this string. I can easily go into a mode of chipping returns back if I miss a few but this string begged me to take cuts at serves.

Strokes: Good spin on both wings even though it did not feel like it was coming off the strings with much spin. Depth control was excellent. I made very few unforced errors. The slice backhand was average. The reason I'm ranking this string so high is that I just felt like I could hit the ball as hard as I wanted and it would stay in. There is no better feeling on a tennis court than being free to hit out and watching almost every ball land in the court.

Volleys: Volleys are average with this string. I hit so many winners that I did not get much chance to use it at net.

Touch shots: Touch shots were average with this string. Again, I was too busy pounding winners to mess with too many drop shots.

Softness: This is a medium stiffness multi.

Tension: 60 was perfect for me.

Durability: This one lasted a little over 8 sets. Only 3 of those sets were long, the other 5 I won easily so that probably means closer to 7 hours before breakage.

Movement: String movement was the worst of any string I can remember. The anal retentive type would NOT be happy with this string (cough cough KCraig).

Conclusion: This was the best mid-priced range multi I tried until my Prince Premiere Attack 16 playtest. I'm with PVAudio, WeissCannon just makes some of the best strings out there. Let's hope some high profile professional player does not discover this and raise all our prices. Shh, don't tell anyone...

UPDATE: I've heard for years this string is no longer being made but I keep seeing it for sale???

Last edited by mikeler : 05-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote