View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #2591
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default MSV Soft Control = Meh

Here is my review in the TW format of the MSV Soft Control 16.

I strung up MSV Soft Control 16g a week or two ago. Pretty easy to work with. I did notice some clamp ghosting. Seems crisp yet soft with the old ball bounce test. Also "feels" like a high quality string. I tried to look for the 3 strands of poly on the outside but could only spot 1 clear piece.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low
Feel: Average
Tension maintenance: It does not last long enough to worry about this. RacquetTune (RT) showed a 12.5% tension loss before I cut it out.
Price: $11.50/set, reels don't seem to be available in the USA.
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is an average multi with below average durability.

Serve/Return of Serve: Could not get much pop with it. Second serves were getting attacked too often. Couldn't be too aggressive on returns without making errors.

Strokes: Was getting a decent amount of spin on both wings for a multi. Depth control was OK but I had a hard time flattening out shots when I needed to. Slices tended to float on me.

Net Game: It's good for volleys but not great.

Touch shots: Average. I had only 1 drop shot that was an absolute winner.

Softness: The string softness felt about average but my elbow was bothering me last night and this morning. I also developed a light pain on the back of my hand both times I used it. So I would not recommend it for arm sufferers.

Tension: Since this is a poly/multi blend, it makes sense that a lower tension might work better for this string. Still, the majority of this string is not poly. The conditions were very hot and fast last night so I was surprised by the lack of pop. My arm felt like it was going to fall off from swinging so hard.

Durability: After about 2 sets, I was noticing some wear at numerous string intersections. After about 3.5 sets, I decided to cut it out since I knew it would pop soon and it was giving me some arm issues.

Movement: The strings did not move much the first set, but after that the mains would move some but the crosses stayed mostly locked in place.

Conclusion: I can't recommend this string due to the lack of durability and arm comfort especially for a string that is above $10.
mikeler is online now   Reply With Quote