View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #975
Up&comer
Hall Of Fame

Wilson gut/alu rough 56/53 with Federer style string savers

Stringing- Pretty easy. The alu rough is a pain in the crosses, but if you are careful there aren't any problems.

Groundstrokes- Good. Pretty spin friendly. However, this was no better than any other gut mains setup I've used. I wanted it to be. I wanted there to be a reason to pay up for the ALU rough. But there wasn't. The wilson gut is slightly springier than the classic I normally use, but that didn't make a huge difference, but it did make a positive difference. Feel was phenomenal.
Overall- 9/10

Serves- again, no better than anything else I've used. Flat serves were really good, though. Kicks and slices were average.
Overall- 8.5/10

Volleys- Excellent. I was killing volleys with this setup. Touch shots were out of this world. It was just awesome.
Overall- 10/10

Durability- the string savers help some, but the rough is still tearing the gut up.
Overall- 6/10

Softness- You could feel the ALU, but the Wilson gut was so soft. 1 being the softest, 10 being the stiffest
Overall- 3.5/10

Overall, this setup only truly impressed me in one way. Net play. It played incredibly at net. Everything else was average for a gut mains setup.
Up&comer is offline   Reply With Quote