View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #2611
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Here is my review in the TW format of the Tecnifibre XR1 16.

Strung it up last week. Nothing memorable to report on stringing. I did the old ball bounce test and it felt like a soft multi.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium
Feel: Not great
Tension maintenance: It does not last long enough to worry about this. RacquetTune (RT) showed a 13.5% tension loss before I cut it out.
Price: $12.00/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is an average multi.

Serve/Return of Serve: Served OK with it. Second serves were vulnerable at times because this is not the spinniest multi out there. Couldn't be too aggressive on returns without making errors.

Strokes: Average spin on both wings for a multi. Depth control was OK and at times I could flatten out strokes successfully. Slices were pretty good with it. There were times when I would hit the ball well long which did not please me.

Net Game: It's good for volleys but not great.

Touch shots: Not so good. I'd say I lost about 80% of the points where I attempted drop shots.

Softness: The string is definitely one of the softer multis I've tried. My elbow was happy.

Tension: Perhaps a pound or two higher may have been better to prevent fly away balls.

Durability: I cut the string out after 5 sets. The last set I played with it, the string just did not feel quite as good. Plus it was fraying like crazy and appeared close to breakage. See the pic below.

Movement: The strings do not move much for a multi. The mains really dig into the crosses and lock the mains in place. In the pic below, you'll notice almost all the string damage is on the crosses.

Conclusion: Just an average multi for me. Nothing really stood out.

mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote