View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
danno123
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This is one of the most common, misunderstood subjects around, and I will not be able to answer all the issues in one sitting.

Just based on many first-time customers that come my way, I would say that at least 60% of the people out there that are using poly, should not be. From the posters here, it looks more like 75%.

Poly is for players that have developed a fast swing speed and that can consistantly hit higher powered shots. I would say unless a player has reached at least the 4.0 level (should be more like 4.5), he should not even consider using poly.

For example, a few weeks ago, a father of a 10 year old called me and asked for a string recommendation for his son. I told him, for a 10 year old, any standard synthetic or multi would probably do. He began asking about poly, saying that his son is very strong and hits very hard. I asked him how often his son breaks his normal 16g synthetic. He answered, "Maybe once a month of playing about 3-4 times a week". Luckily, he listened to me. Tried out a set of a good synthetic, and 2 weeks later ended up getting a reel.

To conclude, if one is not breaking a basic 16g synthetic gut in about 10 hours of play or less, your swing speed is probably not fast enough to justify using poly.
I like using poly for three reasons: (1) it does add a little bit of spin to my shots and topspin shots that would have been a little bit out now fall in; (2) it will not break in the middle of a match; and (3) because I cut it out after 10-12 hours, I get to experiment a lot, which is fun for me. Like you, I use a "no name" brand of poly that's fairly inexpensive but works well.
danno123 is offline   Reply With Quote