View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Where I live, it costs $40 for synthetic string and labour, and $65 for poly string and labour.

Now you can see that even if I am suited to poly, it is just not feasible to replace my string every 10 hours. That is $6.50 per hour just for strings.

So my question is, how can I play with poly in the most cost effective way? Which polys last the longest? If I blend a poly with a synthetic gut will it last longer?

Here are the prices for restringing if you care to look at the options: http://www.uqsport.com.au/index.html?page=46152
Holy cow. That's an expensive string job. With the strings available I would go with Sonic pro strung at lower tension. Your stringbed will feel pretty comfortable and should last you a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheadsmash View Post
Big T I like to put babolat 15G gut in my mains and cross it with Lux savage white. This combo feels good for about two months playing three times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours. It's expensive though. Can you point me to a good syn gut in place of this?

Here's my info:

3.5 using 95 inch 11.3 oz stick - string tension is 52 on mains and crosses.
I'm assuming you're talking about VS Touch 15L? It's tough to replicate that particular feeling, the string is some of the best stuff on the market. My suggestion would be to try a cheaper gut and see how you like it. While the playing characteristics won't be as plush as VS, you'll still have that gut feeling. (check out Klip or Pacific) Another alternative would be to try out multifilaments-- I'm not a fan of them in general but NRG2 is tolerable