View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
USERNAME
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmverdugo View Post
I have not tried any of this "minimalist" shoes but I am not sure they can handle a lateral stop after full speed, the shock on the heel is a main concern and maybe is just me but it seems like there could be some lateral slippage between the foot and the shoe. Even for stops while running forward I have a feeling like they could hurt your toes more than normal tennis shoes.

I guess that the level at what you play or your playing style has a lot to do too. I mean if you do not run for sure you will not have to stop and definitely do not have the risk to roll over your ankle.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
My partner and I have been investigating minimalist shoes for some time now. My latest try is a pair of Merrill barefoot trail gloves. They have zero drop and a large toe box. They feel like you are barefoot and make me lighter on my feet, springing from the toes and not pounding my feet -- better proprioceptive input.

However... as others have pointed out, tennis is not like static running; there is far more start and stop and lateral movement. As far as I have discovered, minimalist shoes are just not cushioned enough, including my Merrills. I did take a gel insert and cut it to fit my Merrill's which helped, but I'm not sure I will stick with them for hard court play. When I get to clay later this year, I *will* be wearing the Merrills. Another problem is that the soles of minimalist shoes tend to wear very quickly. The Merrills have Vibram soles, but the friction necessary to change directions on hard courts seems to wear them out too quickly.

So, for hard courts, I wear old style Adidas Rod Laver. While heavier and higher off the ground than I'd like, they don't have all the high-tech "support" that I dislike. I am always looking for a lightweight, zero drop, minimalist support tennis shoe.
Cool that you actually play in these but yeah, they arent safe for the type of movement in tennis. Let me know how the clay works out, Id think there would be a huge slippage problem if your moving around decently quick.