View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Limpinhitter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific lefty View Post
I never thought I'd be back on this forum so fast...I had my tendonitis/impingement well under control with my PT and after seven weeks I was ready to start hitting. I had one hitting session and on Jan 30 did some extremely light weighted lat pulldowns and sitting chest presses in gym. From that day on the pain was right back. Impossible to do any external rotation exercises, even isometric, or stretch arm across body. And even three weeks later it is still the same.

I can't believe I could have caused the problem to come straight back. My PT says that must mean that the impingement is so bad that I do need surgery. I just feel at the moment that I am never going to play competitive tennis again (not to mention having nightmares about crashing my car into a wall)...

So next week I am trying two things...accupuncture, and meeting the dreaded cortisone happy ortho. surgeon. Has anyone found accupuncture helpful? I guess I will probably have another mri to see exactly what is going on here..

Please anybody, a word of encouragment as I've been spending most of this week just reminding myself to keep breathing in and out...
I resolved my impingment syndrome with a combination of daily rotator cuff exercises with a "Theraband," daily NSAID therapy, and daily ice therapy. I still do 5 exercises almost every day to maintain joint stability and prevent further impingment and inflamation. The most important exercises for me are vertical rotation, inner rotation and outer rotation (bent arm and straight arm). It took about 3-4 months before I could play with confidence.

In addition, for me, the key to ice therapy is to use one of those round fabric covered rubber/pleated ice bags and apply it for ONE HOUR at a time, not 20 minutes as generally prescribed by PT's. However, it is important to use a fabric covered ice bag and to apply it over a t-shirt so that the cold doesn't cause a cryogenic burn.
Limpinhitter is offline   Reply With Quote