View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Angle Queen
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I'm confused.

If I join two 4.0 teams (say, one in Montgomery County and one in Howard County, MD) and both teams advance, I still have to declare before Districts.
What's to be confused about? MOCo and Howard County are in the same District. Maryland.

Quote:
Also, the two-player rule prevents me from having my whole team compete in MOCO and HOCO in the same season.
Exactly.

But where's the rule preventing you from taking that MOCO team...and playing with that entire team....in DC? That's my point. If I recall correctly, there's still a declaration that's got to be made before Sectionals, but just like the Sections not DQing at Sectionals, I think it's too late and the damage has already been done.

Quote:
I guess I don't see the unfairness. I live in MOCO, so the closest venues for me are MOCO. If I want to play in another District, I have to drive, drive, drive. How far a drive would it be for you to play in the next closest league?
Not the same question. The real question is how far would I have to drive to play in a different District. The answer to that one is over two hours. The answer to your question is still over an hour away (in Fredericksburg).

Still, two hours, for a dedicated player might be acceptable. But let's ask the guys in Austin or Miami or Seattle what their answer would be.

Quote:
I dunno, I guess I figure that having the opportunity to play in several leagues/counties at once is a function of living in a congested metro area. That's one of the benefits. One of the disadvantages would be how we have to have timed matches and pay $17/match for the court time.
True on the first sentence. But we've got some of our own issues with the last. We, too, have timed matches (during the indoor season) and a growing number of clubs here charge for court time as well.

Quote:
I'm still confused.

For Virginia, there seem to be several regions. When I went to Sectionals, it seemed like Virginia was over-represented. Meaning there were more VA teams than DC or MD. This makes sense, given that there are more VA players.
As far as USTA/MAS and USTA/VA is concerned, we are not broken up into "regions" (like, say, Florida is). There is only one "Districts" tournament and the teams must come from all over the state to that one same spot.

As for "over-representation" at Sectionals, if that's the case at all, that's a fairly new phenomena. At the 3.5 level I'm most familiar with...as recently as 2008, there was only one team from each District: VA, MD, WV and DC. But the following year, 2009, WV threw in the towel (so to speak) and gave up their "slot" to MAS...who apparently awarded in to VA. It was my understanding that it was to be rotated (mostly between just VA and MD). But VA got that slot again in 2010. Last year, MAS Sectionals had/hosted a completely different format with three teams from VA, two teams from MD and one from DC.

Quote:
Are you saying that VA should be divided into smaller districts so there could be more of them so players could have more playing options? I guess that would be fine, but it seems that Northern Virginia is already kind of maxed out given that they play timed matches and only get 90 minutes. I guess if NOVA wanted to kick out all non-resident players to make way for their own players, that would be justifiable.
I just think the whole Section could be divided more along "regional" lines as opposed to hard-and-fast, state borders. Should the Prince William County folks have to play in Fredericksburg? Maybe. Or the Loudon County folks with Winchester? I dunno. I don't live up there but do know y'all drive too darn much for your own good. Our own metro area is/can be large. As one of the more outlying clubs, when we play a club from deep on the Southside, someone's got close to an hour drive (or more). In fact, some of the mens leagues are loosely divided up into Northside and Southside flights just to minimize travel times...so more of our "hobby" time can perhaps be spent on the court rather than the road. If you want more people to be involved, you've got to make it as logical and convenient as you can.

I just think holding to the old ways can be the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and ignoring that times have changed. A more honest look at who the players are and where they (live/work/most desire to play) might yield a more cohesive overall league structure.

Last edited by Angle Queen : 02-23-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typos
Angle Queen is offline   Reply With Quote