View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #1883
pvaudio
Legend

Discho Iontec 1.25mm

Stringing: Not a terribly bad string to string. All in all, a fairly middle of the road poly feel. Stiff, but not obnoxiously so. No coil memory to be concerned about, no friction burn at all. With WeissCANNON strings being a 10 on the stringing ease scale and Alien being a 1 (there are worse out there, but I can't think of them off the top of my head), this is probably a 4.5. Basically like any textured/shaped string, but no kinking like twisted ones. Strung 45/45 lbs.

Groundstrokes: Overall, this is a fantastic poly from the baseline. It gives good pop, and good directional control. Interestingly, it does not have anything special or unique about it that sets it apart aside from one thing: dwell time WITH crispness. This poly gives the most dwell time of any I've found thus far. Compared to Black Magic where the ball sinks into the strings because they're so soft, this is far more traditional. It's above average for comfort as well. It seriously reminds me of Scorpion and Mosquito Bite getting freaky and making a salmon colored baby. That's in line with what I said earlier: it feels like a mix of various WC polys. A great all-court poly.
Overall: 9.5/10

Serves: Fair, to be honest. Serving with this string isn't particularly amazing. It's not bad either, so let me just say that too. It's just not its best attribute.
Overall: 8.25/10

Volleys: The grail. I have yet to find a poly with more feel than Iontec. It seriously feels like a multifilament up at the net, and I am not exaggerating about that. It's so disappointing that it isn't amazing for serves, because if it was, then this would without question be the best overall polyester on the market...and I mean that. It's very hard to find feel when it comes to poly, and this trumps even Mosquito Bite.
Overall: 10/10

Durability: Great tension stability here, and zero notching. Good marks.
Overall: 9/10

I liked this string, and I am considering stocking it. I do admit that I did NOT pay for this string, as Ray from Mamba Tennis sent it to me along with some others free of charge. When it comes to all-court poly though, this is truly up there with the best: Scorpion, Silverstring, B5E and Pro Hurricane 18 (only the 18g) and perhaps another which is escaping me at the moment are the only polys which I feel can contend with this stuff as an all-courter's string. For a baseline basher, look elsewhere. For a high level doubles player, put something lively in the crosses to get the power up on serves and you will be set for life. For an all courter who doesn't rely on their serve as their main weapon, again, look no further.

Overall: 9.5/10

Last edited by pvaudio : 02-28-2012 at 05:27 AM.
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote