View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #53
justinmadison
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Bridge View Post
At 13 and up the player can train 15 hours and up depending on overall physical development, and this includes off-court injury prevention work for body balance, flexibility as well as strength and speed.
Mitch is right on target with the amount of time spent training. A key requirement is the off-court injury prevention work.

My son went through a three year period where he trained with the intent of playing in the MD of a junior grand slam. He used a heart monitor during all training sessions and checked the data with his coach once a week to evaluate total effort during practice. The monitor is also used to identify when a player is over or under training. If his data indicated he was reaching his limit they would back off on the afternoon practice matches until it showed he could continue.

This is what it takes to make it into a junior grand slam. It is hard for me to imagine what it takes to make it pro. I don’t see how it can be done while you are going to a public school.

Monday – off day

Tuesday – Friday
5:30 am wake up
6:00 am – 8:00 am -> hit with coach
8:45am – 3:10 pm -> school
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm -> Practice match
5:30 pm – 6:30 pm -> off court fitness -> injury prevention, speed, agility, strength
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm dinner and homework
9:00 pm – 9:30 pm down time
9:30 pm – Bed

Saturday and Sunday
Tournaments or Practice matches.
28 tournaments / per year, ~100 tournament matches