View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
Povl Carstensen
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozroz View Post
anyone please try playing tennis barefoot.. (unless it's grass)
let's see what will be left from his feet afterward..
ouch!!
I play tennis on clay and Rebound Ace barefoot, very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
That's actually a good point. One of the trends in the athletic shoe industry is towards minimalist shoes that provide almost no support. It's like going barefoot except you'll be protected from the hot summer pavement and pieces of gravel. The theory is somewhere along the lines that your feet will adapt naturally and get stronger.

I know that the body is very good at adapting. That's why, for instance, I don't wear a weight belt when I do squats because I believe it helps you develop supporting muscles. However, I'm still not sold on the idea of minimalist shoes for someone like myself. I have weak feet and I pronate when I run. That means if I go barefoot or wear minimalist shoes, I will pronate even more and this could lead to knee and hip problems. I have also turned my ankle in the past while playing tennis, so it concerns me that less support would add to the possibility of turning my ankle. Perhaps someone with stronger feet to begin with might not have this problem and would be better off with less support to strengthen his feet more.
I think you contradict yourself somewhat in the beginning/end of your post. The ground gives you all the antipronation you need (nothing wrong with pronation per se). And "weak" feet... Perhaps from spending a lifetime in "supportive" shoes. Luckily no tennisplayers say I have "weak" arms and put them in contraptions that disallow them to work. And the risk and severity of turning your ankle diminishes the closer you are to the ground.