Thread: Raul Ramirez
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Boy, you touched my heart.I always had a flaw for Raul, one of the best players in the 70īs.He won a lot in doubles with the also extremely elegant Brian Gottfried and was a top 6-8 ranked singles player from 1974 to 1978.beat all the great players of his generation, including Borg ( trashed him 6-1,6-0),Connors,Newcombe,Nastase,Panatta,Ashe,Orantes.. .i saw him play a few times, was fast, good technique, a very agressive top spin forehand, great volley, solid sliced BH.he was very consistent on any surface, he reached semifonals at Paris ( and Won Rome) on clay, reached semifinals at the Melbourne Masters and Wimbly on grass, played the QF of the US Open on hard, he reminds me a bit of Gerulatis...fast, good technique, great performance on any surface, maybe lacked a bit of spur and a winning shot.
I liked him a lot too. Surprising to me that people don't think of him that much. He also was instrumental in defeating the United States in Davis Cup. I think he beat Stan Smith and Roscoe Tanner if I'm not mistaken. And I think it was on a hard court.

Actually as Kiki mentions he was very fast. Haven't seen videos of him in years but I think his footwork was very good if I recall correctly.

I think he won the Italian Open one year.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote