View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #76
Tim Tennis
Professional

Smile Thanks for your interest

Volley King, first let me congratulate you on your never ending quest to improve. That is what makes tennis so exciting, you can always get better. You can experiment with new technologies. You can experiment with changing and improving your mechanics. You can improve your physical fitness. You can also work on the mental aspects of the game. By practicing and drilling you can greatly improve your consistency and develop new shots that will take your game to the next level.

If you bear with me I will make some comments about some of the posts, by the way, which I greatly appreciate.

Volley King, loved your comments on post # 41
ď Ok I know this isn't a racquet but this tiny little gadget has changed my game more than any racquet or string there is . In fact it's the most important of the three!!

I never knew how important your grip is but everything starts from there.

The right grip will give you more power , control and feel than any racquet or strings ....I swear.

This grip changes the angle of your racquet face. You get a far more powerful ball . It's like having a nunchuck in your hand."

My comment, the Power V Grip will definitely close the racquet face angle on both the Semi-Western grip and the Continental, if you place your hand where the Power V Grip encourages you to.

The Power V Grip II may change your racquet face slightly but basically adds significant leverage for all the grips without requiring significant changes in you mechanics.

It also allows you to feel each grip clearly and it locks your hand in strong . For example if your in a continental you can't really cheat and slide into an eastern unless you go out of your way to do it . It's tough to explain.

My comment, You are right on. Thanks!

Babolat tried to copy this recently with a grip with a small bubble or hump in it. But it's not as nearly pronounced as the V grip.

My comment. I donít know if they tried to copy it or not. I did wonder about that. If they did, what greater compliment could I get? I actually built up some grips like their's and came to the conclusion that it was great for some grips but not so good for others.

Post 41 Your review

continental

The V grip really works well here. The top end of the grip works like a shelf for your index finger .

This V grip has increased the power of my serve , the accuracy and the spin.

For volleys you get increased angels. You can really hit those pro volleys like you see on tv. Love it.

eastern

The V grip actually does not work so well for eastern at all.

It takes away from the space as it goes right on the bevel where the palm of your hand would go.

It does however increase your power but the accuracy goes down a bit.

It also increases the power of the serve with an eastern.

I use it with an eastern (as well as all the grips) but it tool a loooong time to get used to.

semi western

WOW!!! What can i say? You will increase your power your accuracy everything . Just awesome for this.

western

No freaking clue. I can't hit western if my life depended on it ....lol

Conclusion

If you try it you will immediately see a HUGE difference in the way you hit the ball.

My comment. I think you are right on. I canít hit a Western forehand either. As far as the Eastern, well, I do use it occasionally, probably more then I realize. As far as too how much the Power V Grip benefits the Eastern forehand grip, I think it is the only grip that a standard shaped handle is really good for. Some of my customers are big Eastern forehand users and they love it. Figure that out.

There is a learning curve though because you tend to spray balls all over the place because of the increased power.

It took me actually about 6 months! But I'm glad I stuck with it and I would never go back.

My comment. Wow, not many people would have stuck with it for so long. The SECRET is in understanding your mechanics and how to adjust them to accommodate the changes that the Power V Grips might require. One quick example and I will leave it at that. If you use the Continental grip on your serve and you start hitting the ball into the net, what adjustments do you have to make to get your serve in. Well, you may have to generate more racquet head speed, change your contact point slightly, probably a slight modification in the swing path to generate more forward/horizontal energy. All I can say is that the Power V Grips give you an opportunity to greatly improve you game if you understand the relationship of what grip you are using, swing path, contact point, racquet head speed and the all important racquet face angle.

Post 43 Hitman 99 said: Checked this out on their website. What is the difference between the two grips? I've read the descriptions, can't really tell them apart. Do they both have the sorbothane cushioning?

My comments. Very interesting, a lot of customers order 1 of each, so apparently they have the same problem. I normally encourage them to order the PVG II. I feel it is easier for most people to use yet still greatly benefit their game. Yes, both of them are made of Sorbothane.

Post 44 Volley King said, ďSmall family owned company so don't be too hard on them.Ē

Thank you. Yikes!
Post 63 (Volley King to Hitman) Hitman !!! Don't put the power V grip on !!!

There's is a very big learning curve .

The power V grip takes a lot of practice to get used to.

You will be hitting the ball over the fence.

I know the grip doesn't seem like a big deal .....but it's HUGE!!

You are changing the angle of the face of the racquet and you are gaining a sheetload of power. It takes time to control that power.

To play with a V grip for the very first time and use a new racquet is just too much to ask.

My comment. Interesting, what can I say, some people adjust immediately and for some it takes some time. I think a lot depends on how well you move your hand on the handle now and how well you understand your mechanics and what adjustment you may need to make. Donít quit.

Post 68 Volley King I certainly would not try out the "V" grip in a match.

My comment. I agree. You should really practice and experiment with the PVG before you play a match with it. In a match you are under too much pressure to perform. You do not have the luxury of analyzing and adjusting your mechanics. You become too critical.

Post 71 Hitman I had little trouble adjusting to the Power V grip on ground strokes, but found that I couldn't serve a lick with it, so I removed the overwrap and the Power V insert.

My comment. So what happened on your serve? What aspects of your mechanics do you need to change? Understanding and adjusting could lead to a serve with action, spin and power that you never dreamed you could produce. Who knows? You may have passed over a tremendous opportunity to improve.

Thanks so much for your interest.

Best regards,
Ed

Tennis Geometrics
www.tennisgeometrics.com
Tim Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote