View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #103
alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast
Default WeissCannon Black5Edge 17/ Gosen OGSM 18

Ok, this is starting to get a little ridiculous. I popped this setup in 1 hour and 45 minutes...

String: WeissCannon Black 5 Edge/ Gosen OGSM 18
Frame(s): YT Radical Pro
Tension: 52/55

I had the frame open and some time to string so I figured I'd give the B5E another shot.

Stringing:
Cakewalk. B5E has low coil memory off a reel and Gosen is, as always, a pleasure to string. I strung this one my usual way because I only had 30 minutes until I had to meet my friend to hit. My suggestion to low tension players is to string B5E a little bit tighter. It simply doesn't have the elastic power of other strings and needs the the extra tension (imo). Although stiffer, I found a much better response at 52 than 48.

Groundies:
At first I did NOT like this setup in the least. I was ready to cut it out after 20 balls. B5E felt stiff and plasticky-- directly the contrary to everything I know about WeissCannon strings. I was almost ready to give in and toss this string out the window. After about 30 minutes of hitting, the strings started to loosen up a bit and played much, much more comfortably. I guess I was expecting spin potential equal to the full bed of B7 I was playing and was sorely disappointed. Once the string settled, and I started torquing into the ball, I found the hit to be much more pleasant. The best way to describe B5E is as a "control string." It is low powered and muted as far as strings go.

Serving:
Eh, I'm spoiled. Either I've been serving with gut/poly or softer lower tension co-poly. This is a much firmer string bed. Control is there so I can hit the spots that I want but it doesn't do anything particularly well.

Volleys:
It does what it should. Again, no pop, just control. For someone who'se a better volleyer, I can see this string working well. Since I'm not particularly adept at hitting angles, there are definitely better setups for for me. Dwell time is near none on the string bed and the ball snaps off with a ping.

Tension maintenance:
The first 30 minutes were miserable (granted, this was pretty fresh off the machine) but the string played much better once it settled in. Can't tell you how well it played over time because it popped.

Durability:
Three words... What. The. HELL. This is a record for me popping polyester. 1 hour and 45 minutes and I didn't even pop the 18g crosses! It must have been excitement over the good weather because my hitting partner and I were hitting the ever-living-crap out of the ball; even so-- the string should not pop that fast!!!

I'm officially done with 17g strings in this frame...

Groundstrokes: 3/5 Control, control, control
Serves: 3/5
Volleys: 3.5/5
Spin: 3.5/5
Power: 3/5
Comfort: 3.5/5
Tension: N/A
Durability: 0/5

19.5/35
I will NOT be playing this setup again...