View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #116
alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast
Default WeissCannon Black 5 Edge 17/ Wilson Super Spin 16 Black

Since I don't want to run through my stock of B7 and I had half a set of B5E lying around from previous stringing escapades, I decided to give it another shot; this time with a 16g cross.

String: WeissCannon Black 5 Edge/ Wilson Super Spin 16 Black
Frame(s): YT Radical Pro
Tension: 50/52

Stringing:
Nothing unusual. Both very easy strings to work with. The Wilson Super Spin is a touch plasticky and is shaped but that only comes into play when stringing at higher tensions.

Groundies:
Weisscannon makes very stable and solid polys. Simply put, you get what you put in but there's nothing really special about them other than they stay consistent. I noticed that I have a much more linear stroke with this string. With the full beds of BHBR and BHB7, I found that I can pick a more parabolic trajectory or even dip the ball in at the baseline. This combination is better for consistency than anything else since it doesn't do anything particularly fantastic. Power is a minimum but that was expected. Spin is about average and feel is decent. Not too much pocketing, not too crisp. I'd say somewhere in between.

Serving:
I found I could hit the spots I wanted but there was nothing extra past accuracy. No big weapon here.

Volleys:
Does what it should. Personally, I like a little more dwell time and pop on a string bed. The lack of power is nice for hitting drop shots though-- it's very easy to deaden the ball.

Tension maintenance:
Feels about the same from the first 10 balls I hit with it a few days ago to today so definitely a plus here.

Durability:
Regardless of the 16g or not, this is looking to be a sub 3 hour string. I wasn't able to get much of a rhythm today but hit with a strong partner and the mains are half notched through. I think it's the softness of the B5E that's just nuking the life of this string.

Final thoughts: Definitely a control setup but nothing more. I'm glad that the B5E testings weren't a total flop but a touch disappointed over all. For those that seek a consistent string that will hold tension-- B5E is a great candidate. Unfortunately, you're not going to get any free power or spin out of this setup. What I found I enjoyed most was teaching with this combination. Hitting a flat and even ball for students to practice with is a breeze and very comfortable.

Groundstrokes: 3/5
Serves: 3/5
Volleys: 3.5/5
Spin: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Comfort: 4/5
Tension: 4/5
Durability: 2/5 Slightly better than the OGSM 18 but not by much. Notching is very evident and the frame has been relegated to a teaching/ practice stick. If I actually hit out with this frame, it'll pop in ~3 hours.

25.5/40

Last edited by alidisperanza : 03-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.
alidisperanza is offline   Reply With Quote