View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #54
ace10is
New User

I've been a teaching pro for 19 years. In that time I've done well. I'll get back to that in a moment.

Some of my fellow friends/pros have the idea that they will really make it, Nick Bollettieri status, when one of "their" students "make it". I think that's crazy, but I think I'm a little more humble. So they feel like the player is "theirs" and others are trying to take them away, which is true. The new pro will be there when "their" student "makes it" and will get all the credit. This does happen, a lot, all the time! Does the player ever mention the other pro? Probably not. So, I understand Oscar's point of view, but it makes him look bad. Seriously, would you have heard of Oscar otherwise?

So I've taught kids who are now in college (big and small colleges), play in pro events, won prize money, and some will be on the tour. Are they going to say that I taught them? Probably not, because I won't be with them when they "make it".

Also, what's the difference between the "Bollettieri's" and me and other good pros? Nothing, in the way of teaching. I think it's the hunger to be famous. Can you imagine if you have that hunger and you finally get a break to work with Rafa? Oscar probably thought, "This is it! This is what I've been working so hard for! Now I'll be able to have my own academy, dvd's, spots in Tennis mag, speaking engagements, free tickets to all the events, etc."
ace10is is offline   Reply With Quote