View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
bluetrain4
Legend

I love talking matchups. Aranxta Sanchez Vicario played a somewhat Hingis-esque game of variety, getting a lot of balls back, using opponents pace, coming into net, etc., and, while her record vs. Graf was basically the same as Hingis', but 4 times as many matches (8-28 vs. 2-7), the fact is she beat Graf 8 times, and many times gave her trouble while losing. Why was that? What was particular about the matchup that enabled ASV to give Graf so much trouble at times?

Then consider that Seles was more dominant against ASV (20-3) than Graf was but was pretty bad against Hingis (5-15). Of course part of that was that a lot of those Hingis matches didn't involve a prime Seles (the weight gain had started), but still, the matchup was simply bad. That's why when Seles finally beat Hingis in a big match (something like 6-3, 6-2 in the 1998 French Semis), I was so disappointed that she randomly lost to ASV in the final (while winning the middle set 6-0). It was totally rare loss to ASV and was probably her best chance for another Slam.

I
bluetrain4 is offline   Reply With Quote