Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #139
alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast
Default Gosen OGSM 18

String:Gosen OGSM 18
Frame(s): YT Radical Pro
Tension: 50/53
Haven't played a full bed of synth since HS. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Stringing:
Cakewalk. Cakewalk. Cakewalk

Groundies:
Pretty nice feeling but fairly low powered. My typical poly setups have more snap on the ball than the full bed of synth. What I can say is that I was able to really crank up the pace flat keeping the ball low to the net. Spin is very average-- Smack in between poly spin and the blegh of multi. There are definitely no freebie shots here. If you don't get the racquet below the ball and swing up or you don't have adequate RHS on flat strokes the ball simply goes no where. If you hit too much spin and don't supply the correct closed angle, the ball simply slides off the strings. What's amusing about this string is the sound it makes, it's somewhere between a nice "crack" and a "shriek." A touch unsettling on spin strokes.

Serving:
Hit exactly 1 serve with it. It went in with some decent top. Popped before I could actually hit anything significant though.

Volleys:
Truly average. Nothing crazy here, solid stable response.

Tension maintenance:
Strings were shifting from the get go. Can't make any more comments here though, see below.

Durability: Yes, I know it's 18g...
I've officially set an all time record for me. I popped this string in exactly 20 minutes; the exact time it took for me to string it. I played clinic tonight and warmed up on drop fed balls (6 people on a court in rotation) for 10 minutes. Then dropped this stick, switched to Iontec for King of the court, then picked it up to hit with a friend for 10 minutes after the clinic was complete. Popped 3 mains with the loudest gunshot I've heard in a while from a set of strings...Pretty awesome minus the whole durability factor. The worst part is, I don't think 16g would have lasted me that much longer since the first 10 minutes were drop fed balls with absolutely no spin or pace.

Groundstrokes: 3.5/5
Serves: N/A
Volleys: 4/5
Spin: 3.5/5
Power: 3.5/5
Comfort: 5/5
Tension: N/A
Durability: 0/5 If it would have popped 5 minutes sooner, I'd go into the negatives.

19.5/30

Truly a curiosity experiment. I got my kicks and am satisfied. I'm also certain that I simply can't play with synthetic gut anymore

Last edited by alidisperanza : 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
alidisperanza is offline   Reply With Quote