View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #193
Autodidactic player
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Strongo View Post
Have you tried the Tretorn? I tried one I haven't sold and long story short, it's terrible. I mean absolutely terrible. There is no worry that the strings will go flying as the screw is rather secure but it feels detached (obviously) and overly flexible...
Good morning, or in your case good afternoon,

I have played quite a bit with the Tretorn and my impression was different - and a bit better - than yours. I think that was because I started with lower expectations. I'll be kind to myself and say - reluctantly - that I am at least three times your age! The Tretorn would have been "cutting edge" when I was a junior and would have been competing with other metal rackets of the day like the Seamless, the Chemold or the Tensor. In comparison to those rackets the Tretorn is similarly flexible and plays just about as well; to be completely accurate I'd say a little bit worse. Back then, flex was an asset in a racket because the game demanded much more touch and feel than the modern big hitting game. The big downside of the Tretorn is that it feels flimsy, perhaps even cheap, because of the multi-part design and the fact that you can't really get the string set tight enough to feel secure. That is why the Maynard is different. The air tube really makes the headset feel secure in that racket. I was scared that if I tried to tighten the Tretorn turnbuckle to much it would break and - given how hard these rackets are to find in the US - I wasn't ready to take that chance. My Frisbee comment was only a bit of a joke. I was never confident that the string set would stay in place.

Hope all is well with you. If you uncover any more oddities please drop me a line.