View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #3118
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Here is my review in the TW format of the Kirschbaum Touch Multifibre 16.

I don't remember anything special about stringing this up. I did the old ball bounce test and it was easily the most crisp multifilament string I've ever found.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High
Feel: Below average
Tension maintenance: It did not last long enough to worry about this.
Price: $14.30/set or $99/half reel
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is an average multi with below average durability for this shankmeister. Lasted less than 2 sets for me, so my review is only based on 1 match.

Serve/Return of Serve: Did not notice anything real special on serves. I definitely struggled with my return game.

Strokes: About average spin on both wings for a multi. Depth control was average. I never really tried to flatten out too many balls. This string just did not give me the confidence to try it. I felt like I had to hit a lot of topspin to keep the ball in. Slices were pretty good with it.

Net Game: It's good for volleys but not great.

Touch shots: Nothing special here.

Softness: The string feels firm but not stiff.

Tension: Maybe if I had it lower, the shank would not have destroyed the string!

Durability: After almost 2 sets, I hit a ball off the top of the frame and snap it went. $14.30 down the drain. They can keep this one back in Germany.

Movement: The strings moved about average for a multi so I was fiddling with them between points.

Conclusion: For somebody who hits with heavy spin and shanks quite a bit, I need strings that can handle that shear stress near the grommet. This string does not meet that need. I can see why this string has developed a following. It has the crispness of gut, some of that gut pop but not the softness. For those who complain about "mushy" multi strings, this one is probably worth a shot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mikeler : 03-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote