View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #3150
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default C'mon Boris, you can do better than this...

Here is my review in the TW format of the Boris Becker Pulse 16.

Standard multi to string, seemed like it might have some decent pop just with the ball bounce test. Spin seems decent too.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium
Feel: Average
Tension maintenance: RacquetTune (RT) showed a 10.7% tension loss before I cut it out.
Price: $12.99/set, reels are $189.99 on another website.
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is a very average multi with a premium price tag.

Serve/Return of Serve: This was one of the better areas of the string. First serves seemed to get close to the spots. Second serves had enough kick most of the time to keep my opponents from attacking them.

Strokes: Was getting a decent amount of spin on both wings for a multi. Depth control was where this string was not good. When I missed long, sometimes the ball was 10 feet out. My backhand never really seemed to get along well with this string. Slices were pretty good though.

Net Game: One of the better volleying multis out there.

Touch shots: Below average

Softness: Probably a little on the stiffer side.

Tension: If I had to playtest again, I'd string it tighter.

Durability: After almost 7 sets, there is some nice notching going on. I plan on cutting this out soon.

Movement: The strings move quite a bit. Not good for those who care. I won't make my usual KCraig reference here. Oh wait, I just did.

Conclusion: This string feels more like a solid core string to me. It does not inspire confidence in my game. I can't tell you how many times I had a put away ball on break point only to flub it. A few of those times were mishits but the other times the ball either "fell off" the strings into the net or I hit it long. For the price, I just can't recommend it.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote