View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #50
yellowoctopus
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions with zero evidence. There are many (but fewer every year) groups of people on the planet that live hunter gather lives today that are probably little different than the "caveman", whoever he might be. Most of these groups don't wear shoes, don't die young and don't have tons of health issues. They don't play tennis, but neither do they sit at desks all day and drink soda pop and get diabetes. And I guarantee you that their feet are a hell of a lot stronger than yours or mine.
I believe this is an assumption without evidence. Look at the statistics on the average life expectancy and you will see that the communities with the high numbers (of years) are those that have embraced modern inventions.

I agree that the sedentary lifestyle in many modern societies has its own set of negative consequences, which btw does not come with cause-effect evidences, just a bunch of statistical correlations. But to say that the more primitive lifestyle is better? There is simply no evidence of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
Sports shoes are the result of a continuous product development cycle driven mostly by marketing folks, not by engineers. They are really rather heavy, constricting, stiff and over built, in my opinion. For us to think that they assist human movement is the primary objective of the marketing executives.
I just want to mention that many shoes manufacturers are now marketing the minimalist shoes (which is the topic of this discussion). The advertising messages are that its sexy, non-constricting, sleek, light, and bring us closer to nature. I am pretty sure the marketing executive have their heavy hands of these as well. Does this make it as bad as the conspiracy of the other sport shoes technology?

IMHO, if one is born and raised in a society that walk around barefoot every day, there might be an argument for the benefit of running barefoot. The truth is, most of us are not in that situation. It is very challenging and quite risky for us to switch from wearing shoes to work, but spend the few hours running or playing tennis barefoot, or even with minimal support. This is one fact that I believe the supporters of barefoot activities, and the manufacturers of these minimalist shoes, would rather leave out.

Last edited by yellowoctopus : 04-01-2012 at 04:18 AM.
yellowoctopus is offline   Reply With Quote