View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
jimanuel12
Semi-Pro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc View Post
Wondering about the effect of the years passing and the vintage (let's say 80's) graphite/composite frames. Not counting grommets, I have strung 80's frames that strung up well and played well for their owners. And I have strung up a few where the strings (even with good grommets) have sunk into the frame with a few hits. Likewise, I remember a composite frame that just could not take a 50 lb string tension without losing shape. Any thoughts on fiberglass or early graphite in general and loss of integrity? Any engineers out there or those who experience with many frames?
With graphite/composite frames, does age alone change the strength? Then does the frame play differently almost 30 years later?
Thanks - I just love the old frames and I see more and more rec players doing likewise...

just a note - i have collected several "classic" racquets over the last couple of years. they are mostly the ones from the 80's and they play very well. most of the ones i have collected are in very good shape for their age.
as long as they were taken care of - they seem to last almost forever.
i love them - i got most of them for a song - very very reasonable cost.