View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #3390
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default NXT = Overrated

Here is my review in the TW format of the Wilson NXT 16.

Probably the easiest string to install. It went in like a charm.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High
Feel: Below Average
Tension maintenance: RacquetTune (RT) showed a 15.3% drop in tension before I cut the string out.
Price: $16.95/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is a below average multi with a premium price tag.

Serve/Return of Serve: Nothing special on serves. It did not seem like I could get enough spin on 2nd serves to fend off attackers. Returns were lackluster.

Strokes: This string does not have great spin potential. If I was in an offensive position, the string did what I needed it to do. Since I play mostly hard hitters, I'm often scrambling for their shots. I had no control on balls that were hit hard to me. So many went into the back fence.

Net Game: Average

Touch shots: Below average

Softness: One of the stiffest multis around. I'd put it right there with Thunder Blast, Addiction and TNT2. I actually broke my scissors cutting the strings out!

Tension: If I had to playtest again, I'd string it at 95 pounds in the hope that it would break on the stringer.

Durability: After almost 7 sets, there was some mini fraying going on. It looked like the string still had some life left.

Movement: Not too bad.

Conclusion: This string feels more like a solid core string to me. It does not inspire confidence in my game. It hurts my elbow too. I'm just not a fan of Wilson strings in general I suppose.

Last edited by mikeler : 04-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote