alidisperanza
Hall Of Fame

Location: The fishy looking thing that sticks off the East Coast
Default Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 17

String: Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough
Frame(s): Yonex Vcore 95D
Tension: 48

Stringing:

No issues @ 48lbs. As with all these infernal twisted strings, you'll find that you'll get a "corkscrew" every now and again that doesn't want to untangle with a bit of a flick. Not an issue though. Definitely stiffer than B7 and I'd say a bit stiffer than Blue.

Groundstrokes:
I was skeptical about the 95D until I hit it with this setup the other night. Great directional control, great response on the ball. It was what solidified my decision to buy a pair of these frames. When this stuff is fresh, it's wicked how much topspin you can put on the ball. I was hitting with the D1 buddy of mine and the ball trajectory looked exactly like his-- coming up to shoulder height. Both of us were surprised at how many balls were landing within 1' of the baseline. At the same time, it's also really nice to open up and flatten out the ball. A little bit tricky at times because the 95 is, inherently, a somewhat powerful frame but oh boy does it sing. The ball skids through the court The stiffness of the string complements the frame beautifully especially when hitting a 1hbh. As the string came towards the end of its life, you could tell that playability changed. I wasn't able to make the ball jump to shoulder/ head height anymore but found it much easier to drive the ball. The freebie baseline shots I was able to hit prior were much more difficult to pull off. Don't get me wrong, even towards the end, this string is very playable but it lacks the "ooooh" factor.

Volleys:
Great, crisp, volleys. Great response off the string bed and very easy to impart spin on the ball. This setup is FANTASTIC for hitting overheads. It's truly something wicked the pace and action you can put on the ball. Off hits are NOT forgiving and produce a fluff ball if they do go over. Stemming from this, if you don't hit a "proper" volley, you may have trouble with the balls coming back. "Blocked" volleys sit there unless you put them in a great spot.

Serves:
SO much fun to serve with this combination. At first, I was having a little difficulty finding the ball and snapping in but the more I hit, the better it got culminating in tonight. The first 2 hours of play the extra action the strings produce is incredible. My average serve was so much more effective that it wasn't even necessary to hit the balls-to-the-wall flat serve. What I noticed is that this combination doesn't quite hit the "silly" kick/action serve that the Wilson Spin Cycle/ 98D did. Personally, I think this is a good thing. There's so much extra spin on that ball that it doesn't really do anything. Topspin serves here bounce hard off the court causing errors. Once the strings loosened up a bit I was able to really dial in the flat bomb. I had the chance to play 2 doubles matches today and didn't drop serve once. Whether it's adjusting to the new frame, or it's the string, I hit a massive ammt of aces today. I normally have quite a bit of success serving but not pure aces; this stuff gave me aces. Really, really fun to toy around opponents.

Durability/Tension:
5 hours. About the average I've been getting. I must say that this stuff held on pretty well for the time it played. The first two hours and the last two hours were particularly rigorous hitting ending in serve/return practice with some of the bigger hitters on my 4.5 team. Popping was due to notching of the mains. The quality of the ball I was able to hit definitely changed around the 2-3 hour mark. It wasn't terrible to adjust to but every now and again I'd find myself hitting a ball square and wondering why it was out. Not too much shifting over-all but it was clear once the strings were "giving up"

Groundstrokes: 4/5
Serves: 4.5/5
Volleys: 4/5
Spin: 4/5
Power: 4/5
Comfort: 4/5
Tension: 3.5-4/5
Durability: 3.5/5

31.5/40

Definitely a fun playtest. I can see why some people liken this string to Lux Rough. I can't make a definite comparison since It's been quite a while since I've played it not to mention I've never played it at 48# but there are definitely some similar qualities from what I remember. The biggest one is the sheer court penetration that the string helps produce off the bounce: It's fantastic. On that note, I may have to revisit AluRough sometime in the near future.

Last edited by alidisperanza : 04-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.
alidisperanza is offline   Reply With Quote