View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #38
floridatennisdude
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
No, I won't propose limiting scholarships to all out-of-state players, just non-US citizens. Period.

Example: Memphis hoop is doing pretty well without those crazy tall Euro centers

If EVERYBODY is not allowed more than 2 or 3 international players, this will actually level the play field a bit for those not-so-rich state schools who can't afford that many of these scholarships.

I am pretty certain that there are NOT many "fat-cat donors" who care about their college tennis programs AND wants to keep international players THAT much that will get ****ed off by this - Not even for Memphis, I checked

Football maybe, but we got no Euro football players, Aussie kickers are good but are really not necessities
Basketball and football are not fair comparisons for tennis. The recruiting pool for those sports is 90-99% domestic. And, those sports generate pretty much all the revenue for athletic departments.

The schools that would be hurt the most by limiting recruiting pools domestically would be the smaller conference schools. They could not be competitive with the Pac12, ACC, SEC, etc if they had to compete directly for the top US born talent. There simply isn't enough talent to go around.

Boosters do have more of an impact than what you are giving credit for. Any donations to non-revenue sports are like finding gold. But, no one wants to support a perennial doormat. I would foresee ADs across the country eliminating tennis all together if they were in an environment where over half (guesstimating) the recruiting talent pool was forbidden. Most would assume not allocate resources to a sport where there is little chance of fielding a competitive team. It would basically become club level and just not interesting.
floridatennisdude is online now   Reply With Quote