View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #3538
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Discho Microfibre 17.

Strings up just like its 16g counterpart. Very easy to work with.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Pretty good
Tension maintenance: Never got a final measurement
Price: $12.50/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I tried this after hitting with the 16g. This string was only better for me on serves than the 16g version. I've had a bad cold the last 10 days, so that could have negatively influenced my opinion of this string.

Serve/Return of Serve: I was able to hit my spots well with this string. I did not notice anything extra special on 2nd serves or returns.

Strokes: Pretty good off both wings but I was missing that confidence boost I get when I use the 16g.

Volleys: I hit some incredible drop volleys with this string. Punch volleys were average, nothing special.

Touch shots: Drop shots were not as good as the drop volleys.

Softness: This is softer than the 16g version. Definitely good for sore arms like mine right now.

Tension: If I had to try it again, I might up the tension to 62 if durability was not a concern.

Durability: I got about 6.5 sets of singles on it before it broke.

Movement: String movement was more than the 16g but still not as bad as most multis.

Conclusion: Maybe I'm just a 16g kind of guy. This 17g was pretty good but does not have the same "Wow" factor for me. I'd also prefer something with a little more durability.

Last edited by mikeler : 05-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote