View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #53
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSlam View Post
When I serve I only use one ball and do not keep another ball in my pocket. It is on purpose and is not a tactic to stall or harass my opponent.

The reason I do this is I tend to rush my second serve if I don't. If I take the time to go retrieve a ball from the fence or the net, I actually come back to the line with a "fresh" mindset. It basically allows me to refocus.

That being said... I do not stall with this tactic. On my serve I am pretty meticulous about making sure the rest of the balls are next to the backstop/fence as close to me as possible.

Get the ball. Step right up to the line. Glance to make sure opponent is ready. 3-bounce then toss and serve.

It's just easier for me to refocus by taking a 5 second trip than to stand in the same spot in the batter's box.

And since I am nowhere near taking long enough for a time violation, I haven't had a single complaint.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rule said the server had to serve the second serve "promptly."

I think having my opponent step up to serve without a second ball in her pocket would drive me insane. I mean, say your serve goes long and I let it go to the fence behind me. You don't have a ball. You mean I have to send a ball to you so you can hit your second serve?

Man, that is a huge cumulative dilly-dally, and I think it would cause a lot of people to freak completely out.