View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 03:29 AM   #33
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Default Vision training

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Urala
No, I'm not dyslexic (since I'm here ) but the test results are independent of the distance.
I'm going to visit a doctor, but in case if neither of my eyes is really dominant, what is it supposed to mean in terms of tennis?
Note that some highly-functioning, accomplished & very intelligent ppl have suffered from dylexia... Einstein, Edison, Churchill, John Lennon, Nolan Ryan, Bruce Jenner, & many more.

Not sure if your lack of eye dominance is more of an asset or a liability. Even if you are not dyslexic, you may still have a convergence (or other visual) problem. It may hinder your ability to judge ball speeds or trajectories to some extent, or it may have very little effect. Do you notice any other problems with reading or with double vision (particularly when your eyes are fatigued)?

I had learned a few years after graduating from college that I was born with a learning disability due to a vision problem (not dyslexia) that was never detected until I had contacted a behavioral optometrist who specialized in sports vision training. I had consulted him becuz I felt that my hand-eye was just a little bit off (esp when my eyes were tired). I was a tournament badminton player at the time & felt that he could help me with this & other visual skills.

Before starting the vision training, the optometrist subjected me to a battery of eye tests. One of the things that he discovered was that I had a convergence problem... when my eyes focused on an object that was somewhat near, they focused ok but they actually converged a little bit past the object. When my eyes were completely relaxed they diverged rather than converged. Divergence is fine for objects that are far away but no so for objects that are close by.

Altho' I could close-converge for short periods of time, it was too much strain on my eye muscles to pull them inward to look at something close for extended periods of time. Becuz of this condition, I was unable to read a book or newspaper for much more than 10 minutes at a time. In retrospect, this had been a serious liability for many academic classes where exams were based primarily on (reading) the text. (For other classes where I didnt really have to depend on reading the text, I could very easiliy get A's. School woulda been so much easier if the problem had been diagnosed sooner).

This same reading problem also manifested itself when I played tennis or badminton... i would have a difficult time accurately contacting the ball/shuttle when my eyes became fatigued. Thru vision training, I learned to converge my eyes independently of focusing them. Once I mastered this, I wa able to get my eyes to converge and focus at the same place for close objects. I was also able to maintain a close-convergence for a longer peroid of time so that I could read for 20-30 min at a time rather than only 10-15 min.

Best to consult with an optometrist (or ophthamalogist) to see if you have convergence or some other visual shortcoming due to your lack of eye dominance. Even if you have 20/20 vision or better, there is a whole lot more to vision and visual skills that are really pushed to the limit in sports such as tennis.

For a visual challenge, here R 2 more 3D pictures (It's a gr8 eye exercise!):

The first pic is a stereogram of 3 interlocking rings that requires you to have your eyes (far) converge past the picture to reveal the hidden image. On the other hand, the stereo photos of the flower requires you to close-converge... you need to cross your eyes, so to speak, in order for your brain to generate a 3rd image that will be a 3-D rendering (comprised of the other 2 images).
SystemicAnomaly is online now   Reply With Quote