View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
tennis_pro
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
Federer has only lost to Nadal once at Wimbledon as it is, and that was during a year long strech he couldnt beat Nadal on any surface. Change to a faster court and Nadal probably doesnt have as big a lead to choke, and ends up winning in 5 sets the normal way rather than choking badly and still winning in 5 sets anyway. Federer has never lost to or even played Djokovic at Wimbledon to date so WTF is that about. As for his other losses:
Ok so there's only exception of a non-serve-and-volleyer winning Wimbledon in a 20 year span of 1982-2001 (which is Agassi - an aggressive baseliner) but you assume a grinder like Nadal would make the final and beat Federer in 5 sets. Jesus. The speed of grass wouldn't just change the pattern of the final, it would change the pattern of each round, you're so sure that Nadal would have a walk in the part in the first 6 rounds given that there are tons of guys with a better serve than him on the tour?

I never said that Federer would struggle against Djokovic at Wimbledon, I just claimed that if he was to play him at Wimbledon, I'd favor his chances even moreso if it was on old grass.

Quote:
2010- Overpowered by Berdych. Would have been even moreso on a faster court.

2011- Overpowered by Tsonga in last 3 sets. Would have been even moreso on a faster court.
You can't assume that Berdych/Tsonga would overpower Federer "even moreso" on the 90's grass just because it's faster. Don't forget that it would also benefit Federer who has a tremendous serve and it would be twice as difficult to break.

Quote:
On the other hand he might well have lost one or both the 2004 and 2009 Wimbledon finals to Roddick on a faster court. Federer's serve isnt that overpowering and relies more on placement and disguise anyway, but the much faster Roddick serve would have gained much more by the fast grass, especialy when this forum seems to think Roddick had an Ivanisevic level serve on grass. We also might have had alot more serve and volley players if we were in an era of faster grass, and while Federer might have been a good one, he never was going to be the most comfortable at net.
This is way too hypothetical. As I wrote before, Roddick's serve would be more devastating on grass but Fed's would get more pop on it as well.

Last edited by tennis_pro : 05-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote