View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #40
tennis_pro
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Uh? Because he dropped some sets? Sampras in 2001 was playing worse than he had in years. Even before he lost to Federer, people were saying Sampras wasn't playing as good and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win the tournament. Of course, when Federer beat him, it was still a shock anyway because Sampras had lost at Wimbledon, and that was a very rare thing.
Fair enough, I still don't see who would beat a "slumping Sampras" at Wimbledon that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
All were capable, but probably Ivanisevic in the semi finals. He has beaten Sampras at Wimbledon before, you know.
Listen, I was a huge fan of Ivanisevic but he's the last man who could beat Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001. I've seen him choke too many times against him to think otherwise. Btw that 1 victory Ivanisevic had over Sampras at Wimbledon was a long way back in 1992 when Sampras wasn't as much "pistol" as he would become in the next couple of years.

If somebody was to take out Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001 it would have to be someone new who Sampras hadn't built a mental advantage on. Federer was just the man.

Last edited by tennis_pro : 05-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote