View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
sseemiller
Rookie

The Acapulco info just came in:

RESULTS - SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 2004
Singles – Semi finals
F Verdasco (ESP) d (WC) Guillermo Cañas 63 36 63

(1) C Moya (ESP) d (7)J Chela (ARG) 62 76(4)

Doubles – Semi finals
B & M Bryan (USA) d M Fyrstenberg / M Matkowski (POL) 61 62
JI Chela (ARG) / N Massu (CHI) d L Arnold / A Calleri (ARG) 36 75 76(4)

ORDER OF PLAY - SUNDAY, MARCH 7, 2004
Centre Court – 1:00 PM -

WTA Singles Final

Iveta BENESOVA (CZE) vs Flavia PENNETTA (ITA)

followed by

ATP Singles Final

(1)Carlos MOYA (ESP) vs Fernando VERDASCO (ESP)

Followed by

ATP Doubles Final

Bob & Mike BRYAN (USA) vs. Lucas ARNOLD / Agustin CALLERI (ARG)

ATP MEDIA NOTES - SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 2004

ALL SPANISH FINAL IN ACAPULCO

· Top seed Carlos Moya moved through to his second final of the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica MoviStar in Acapulco after defeating 2000 champion Juan Ignacio Chela. Moya, also a champion in Mexico is reached his fourth final in just five tournaments this year and extended his 2004 record to 17-.

· Young talented Spaniard Fernando Verdasco is playing his first career ATP final. The young player from Madrid had only reached 2nd round as best result on the ATP. Verdasco defeated Guillermo Cañas in 3 sets under a very intensive and strong sun.

WHAT THE PLAYER'S SAID

Verdasco:.

About the final: "I am very happy to play my first ATP final. I am pretty tired today but I am sure that tomorrow I will be Ok since I am really looking forward to play. I will try to give everything as a way to thank the crowd for all the support I have received during the week. Moya is a friend of mine and I know it is going to be very difficult to defeat him”

About today’s match: “We both looked for the backhands and I think that I managed to play at my top level. I tried to play in the same way as the other days. I knew that if I would play the way I was playing I knew I could beat him. Last week it was easier for me but today I saw him much better and stronger. I knew how to handle the pressure and my body and that was the difference today.”

About the court conditions tomorrow: “It is pretty fast the court for being a clay court and I think that helped me today.”

About Feliciano Lopez: “Feliciano is my best friend, he is like my brother and I am very happy to see he is also in a final. I wish him all the best and I hope he wins his first title tomorrow against Federer”

Moya: "It has been a very complete match. I think I played my best tennis during the first set. I was lucky since I played very well in the Tie break and I am very happy to be again in a final here in Acapulco.

About Verdasco: “I played in Miami last year but he is a much better player right now. He is more consolidated. He beat very good players here, he has a lot of talent and I just hope I can win tomorrow. I feel that I play younger players on Tour. I played against Gasquet at the beginning of the tournament and now it is Verdasco who is only 20. He might feel the pressure tomorrow and I will try to take advantage of this circumstance.”

About the time of the final: “It is Ok with the heat. The ball might be faster but I think I can take some advantage of that. I only expect to do a good match and win the title since it would be my 2nd Acapulco title and my 16th title in my career.”

Cañas: “I think that he played a very good match. I never felt comfortable on court and that is to his credit. I tried to conduct the match today but I could not make it and specially since I did not serve as well as I wanted. The court was a bit faster and slippery than during the other days and he played better under these circumstances”

“I am happy with the semis after receiving a wild card and I ma very happy with the crowd since they really make me feel at home. I have always been close to the final here and I will definitely come next year to try to make it to my first final here.

Chela: “I found a very solid Moya during the whole set. He was faster and could not do anything against him. It is my first semi final in a long time and I am happy for that.”

FINAL PREVIEW

· Final day at the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica MoviStar in Acapulco with two Spaniards in the final. This is the first all Spanish final in 2004. Moya has a pretty good record against fellow country man. Earlier this year he defeated Tommy Robredo in Chennai. In 2003 he won 6 out of his 10 matches against another Spaniard.

· Moya, is playing his 4th final of the year and looking for his second title of 2004 (w Chennai). This is Moya's second final in the Latin American Swing (did not play Viña del Mar).The Spaniard reached the quarterfinals in Acapulco in 2003 (l. to Mantilla) and the semi-finals in 2001 (l. to Blanco), now has a 14-2 record in the tournament.

· Moya is looking for his 16th career title and 2nd Acapulco title. Moya would be the first player in case of victory to have won two titles in Acapulco. Thomas Muster managed to win 4 Abierto Mexicano but those were played in Mexico City.

· Verdasco entered the tournament as last direct acceptance and finds himself now playing the final. The Spaniard, a lefty as well as his best friend Feliciano Lopez, played his first quarterfinal, semi-final and now final of his career this week. He will step in the Top 100 of the INDESIT ATP Rankings for the first time in his career on Monday.

· Verdasco wished all the best of lucks to his “almost brother” Feliciano who is also looking for his first career ATP title in Dubai.

FINAL’S HEAD-TO-HEADS

Carlos Moya (ESP) vs Fernando Verdasco (ESP) Moya Leads 1-0

03 Miami TMS (U.S.A.) Hard R32 Carlos Moya 7-6(5) 6-3

Verdasco FastFacts:

2004 Highlights:

YTD W-L: 5-5

YTD Titles: 0

Career Titles: 0

Date of Birth: November 15, 1983

INDESIT ATP 2004 Race: 89T

INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking: 103

Moya FastFacts: