View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #38
TennisFan2Day
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
Pro tennis is the only sport in the world that restricts coaching...why is it? Golfers talk to their caddy between every shot. Team sport coaches have zero restrictions on when they can call out plays. Even in sports like swimming, track & CC, or gymnastics the coaches aren't limited on shouting tot heir athletes. I kind of dislike that tennis has coaching restrictions and I like that they are allowed to coach in the college game.
That is why it should be eliminated. If they are training to be professionals, they why shouldn't they play by the same rules. If they allowed coaching in the juniors and pros then I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
Wow, eliminate a medical time out? Makes me think about the player at the Open that was agonizing in pain from cramping and they had to sit and watch until he was defaulted and then carted off the court. Pretty sure that wouldn't be favored by athletic trainers.
The MTO has evolved in a way that it wasn't intended for. There are top academies telling players they should take them if they are down it a set and need more time to mentally prepare.

Could you imagine a boxer asking if he can wait a few minutes until he catches his breath? Maybe a swimmer can take a break between laps because they are cramping. It is a sport, you either tough it out or take up knitting.

This article is from a few years ago.

JOHN MCENROE CALLS INJURY TIMEOUTS A TOUR EPIDEMIC

http://gototennis.com/2009/08/19/joh...tour-epidemic/
TennisFan2Day is offline   Reply With Quote