View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #767
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post
My own list would look very similar. From 1972 through '75 I think you could say the WCT Finals was the fourth most important tournament of the year, and maybe even higher.

After '75, though, I think there were other tournaments that were stronger. In '76, Philadelphia had 7 of the top ten players (including Borg and Connors), so it may have been the best-attended event of the year apart from the Big Three Slams. Dallas was missing 5 of the top ten (including #1 Connors). This article mentions how the Dallas field was seen as somewhat weak this year.

In '77, Philadelphia had 8 of the top ten players, equal to Wimbledon, and exceeded only by the USO. The Masters, now in New York, had 7. Dallas had only 5 again.

In '78 Philadelphia was again one of the top tournaments. This was in the AP:
Actually, nine of the top 10 ranked players in the world and 25 of the leading 30 are in a field described by some as equal to that of Wimbledon. Only Vilas, Tony Roche, Stan Smith, Jaime Fillol and Phil Dent are missing.

“There is no question in my mind that the Philadelphia field is superior and much tougher than Wimbledon,” said defending champion Stockton in an appearance here recently.
As much as I enjoyed the US pro indoors, it´s not a major.I fully agree, the 1977 year mamrks the resurgence of the Masters and a slight decline for the Hunt´s tour.But, still, 1983 and 1989 WCT finals had a better field than the Masters, and I´d say the same for 1985.This is a great rivalry.Like the Avon vs Virginia Slims in the ladies field