View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #2662
pvaudio
Legend

Default SP Tornado 1.23mm / WC Explosiv! 1.30mm

SP Tornado 1.23mm / WC Explosiv! 1.30mm

Stringing: Yes, the L-Tec was so "not me" that I didn't even want to practice with it. So instead, I shall be trying this as my summer setup (have nearly full reels of both strings vs. only a few sets of Xcel FO). Since I already liked Tornado for its responsiveness, all that was left was the cross. Heard that Explosiv! gives a good crisp feel as a cross, so here we are! Explosiv! is just ridiculously easy to string, but since it's thick, good luck getting it through double blocked grommets without trimming significantly. Thankfully, this racquet has none. Strung 52/56lbs.

Groundstrokes: This is a solid setup off the ground. Unfortunately, the Explosiv takes too much away of the poly feel for it to really be beneficial. So, while a good stringbed overall, the crosses here just mute the mains. This is coupled with the fact that the mains are so enormous and gummy that spin is hampered.
Overall: 8.75/10

Serves: Very nice pop on flats, but spin suffers for seconds. Would not use again since I use my serve heavily.
Overall: 8/10

Volleys: I wish I could say that there was good feel here, but there unfortunately isn't. Just more muted poly.
Overall: 8/10

Durability: Total of four hours on this guy and the crosses are already ready to go. Surprised that they haven't popped yet honestly. As always, the Tornado is holding like a dam. Still, the playability doesn't make it worth it.
Overall: 9/10

Not what I was looking for at all, so I won't waste more time. Explosiv does not make a good cross string, regardless of what I had read. It's just too thick, soft and mushy to be used with a responsive poly like Tornado. Pass.

Overall: 8.75/10
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote