View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #2663
pvaudio
Legend

Let the controversy begin again.

L-Tec 3S 17 / L-Tec Gut 17

Stringing: Alas, the final L-Tec test from PV Audio (whatever my opinion is worth!). Strung easily, the 3S is moderately stiff, but nothing outrageous. If I closed my eyes, I wouldn't be able to tell that the "Gut" is not Wilson NXT. It has that same lumpy kind of feel to it. Will see this afternoon if this hybrid is any good, but already, this is a no-lose game for the L-Tec diehards. If I like it, as in it's ungodly, then they win. If I don't like it, then it wasn't the right hybrid, right tension, wrong stringing method, wrong racquet, wrong playing style, etc. Whatever, I'm here to test strings and not Area 51 claims. Strung 48/52.5

Groundstrokes: 3S is actually quite a nice poly. It's obviously stiff, but nonetheless is very resilient. While the "gut" is about as far from natural gut as it gets, it still softens the stringbed more than any cross string I've ever used. Yes, even VS gut doesn't damp the stringbed more. However, that's not a good thing. The strings become very mushy feeling and don't really do 3S justice (I'm assuming). Having hit with what I'm fairly sure is a similar string (I'll save names here), I'm pretty confident that in a full bed, 3S would be quite nice. With the L-Tec "gut"? Er, no.
Overall: 9.15/10

Serves: Same story here. If you line up your serves well, you'll get good results. There is no feedback, however, to tell you if you've done that or not. Since that feedback is very important to me, I can't say this is a good stringbed for servers.
Overall: 8.5/10

Volleys: Breaking the record player again. Just too much muted feel from the crosses to give what I'm sure is actually a high-feel poly its due. I'm actually quite curious as to how this would play with say OGSM or something fairly neutral.
Overall: 8.75/10

Durability: The 3S is holding tension really rather well. It's at something like 5-6hrs of play time now, with a few weeks of bag time (as per my usual review schedule). As I commented about before, the "gut" feels very firm to the hand, but plays like mashed potatoes. The latter shows itself in durability as once the outer coating wore off, it's started to peel. Not a frayer for sure, but one of the peeling multis.
Overall: 9/10

I did actually like this setup. It was hampered by too much softness from the crosses, but the mains were definitely responsive which is what I like. Would I go to it again? No, because there are other polys and crosses that I still much prefer over it. But to give it its due share, if you're a medium level player looking for something to just bash around from the baseline and tend to get TE, then I can see that this might work well for you. Not shabby at all.

Overall: 9.05/10
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote