Thread: Swinging volley
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
ucd_ace
Semi-Pro

Send a message via AIM to ucd_ace

I do it with my one-handed backhand, I consider myself the inventor of the shot even though I'm sure I'm not. I've never seen anyone else do it, but hardly anybody I play with uses a one-hander to begin with. It's tough; especially considering that when i miss-hit the shot I catch it on the frame and break my strings.

My advice for swinging volleys in general is to go for it. I couldn't hit swinging volleys at all and I just started doing it whenever I had the chance (practice, not durring matches) and now I do it etter than anyone I play with. The main thing is that you have to hit through the ball as much as possible. My western, top-spin approach to hitting shots in general had to be adjusted otherwise it just wouldn't happen. The most important thing is that I got to the point where I see balls that I can take as a swinging volley and I do it without thinking about it. I think that's the thing about tennis in general, if you're indecisive then you're not likely to make the shot. It has to become natutal to your game to be successful.
ucd_ace is offline   Reply With Quote