View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #3679
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default TW Wilson Prototype Playtest

So here is my review of the Wilson Prototype string. It was fairly easy to string because of the smoothness. I'm assuming this is a 16g string. I'm a 4.5 NTRP level player that utilizes heavy spin and play almost exclusively on Har-Tru.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
Power (or lack there of): High powered multi
Feel: Average feel for a multi
Tension maintenance: This is the big weakness of this string. The tension off the stringer was 50.4 pounds according to RacquetTune. The final tension reading I got was 43.9 pounds. It's possible the smoothness of the string allowed some clamp slippage but who knows. Bottom line is that tension is just too low for a multi to play well at.
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This string looks like a high quality string. I had high hopes for it but in the end, the power is just too much for my long loopy strokes.

Serve/Return of Serve: My serves were constantly under attack with this string. Return of serves was just plain bad. I missed way too many long.

Strokes: The spin of the string was around average for a multi. Depth control was horrible. The ball was constantly going past the baseline.

Volleys: It's OK for volleys, nothing outstanding.

Touch shots: Drop shots and touch volleys were about average for a multi.

Softness: This was a stiffer multi. I would not recommend it to arm sufferers but for those coming from polys, they may like the feel better.

Tension: I wish I would have strung this up a few pounds higher.

Durability: I got 7 sets of singles and 1 set of doubles before it broke at a cross.

Movement: String movement is minimal at first but after a few hours, both the crosses and mains slide around a little bit.

Conclusion: I just felt like it was too powerful for my liking. This is a better string for those with compact strokes desiring some pop or perhaps those with a very flexible racket. The stringbed was too unpredicable for me. I would not buy this product but I'm sure there are others who would like it. Thanks TW for the opportunity to playtest the string.
mikeler is online now   Reply With Quote