View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #41
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Segura was no longer at the top when he played Hoad in 1957, and Kramer believed that Hoad tanked against him and Segura because of this.
Laver had an introductory series of practice matches against Hoad and Rosewall before the public matches began, and Laver won the most important match of the series against Rosewall at Kooyong (a televised match) in a four-set slugfest, after losing the previous evening a close five-setter against Hoad on the same court (also televised). Doesn't look like he had the rookie nerves.
Again, this 8 to 0 report conflicts with the press reports of a contract for 13 matches against Hoad, and the clear recollections of the participants of the series.
Someone like Laver doesn't say in public that he lost his first 14 matches to someone without being well aware of it. This is not something you would forget. Yeah, I still say it looks like grasping at straws.
Tanking means purposely losing. I don't think Hoad tanked against Segura. I just think he plain lost. Frankly according also to Jack Kramer, Hoad won a few matches at the beginning of his pro career and then went on a long losing streak. Now why would Hoad want to lose to start off his pro career? I don't think so. The thought of that makes absolutely no sense to me. Segura was still a great player in 1957. He won the Australian Pro Champs by defeating Hartwig, Gonzalez and Sedgman. He was in the finals of the US Pro defeating Pails and Rosewall before losing to Gonzalez in the final. He crushed Hoad in a round robin tournament 6-3 6-0 and in Cannes 6-1 6-3. He reached the finals of Wembley losing in five sets to Rosewall after defeating Gonzalez to reach the final. Segura won another Round Robin in Manila by going 3-0 defeating Hoad in three sets. Segura also defeated Rosewall and Kramer in the same tournament.

So Segura was in two finals of the three pro majors and won a number of tournaments. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

This is not grasping at straws by the way. This is grasping for the truth. I love tennis history but I don't like fantasy in tennis history. Never cared for stories that I thought didn't make sense like the invisible serve of Vines against Bunny Austin in the early 1930's. If Laver truly lost 13 I would like documentation not hearsay.

Hoad's accomplishments can stand on their own, including his losses. Every player can make excuses for losses. I find it amusing that it seems you want to explain away every loss of Hoad. Hoad's is a rare talent in tennis. Arguably he is the best when he is on his game. Very few players had the variety of tennis weapons that Hoad had. He could hit offensive shots from anywhere and his strength was legendary. With the tennis racquets today he might not have to hit passing shots, the power of his shots might go through his opponent's racquets.

Last edited by pc1 : 05-22-2012 at 07:50 AM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote