View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #46
Ramon
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
When hybridding gut with poly, I always string the gut 4-5 lbs higher than the poly. General opinion is a 5 lb differential will not damage the frame. TW will not string higher than a 5 lb differential between crosses and mains. I have done this for years with no discernable harm to my frames. I mostly string moderate tensions 55 lb mains with 50 crosses or a couple of lbs lower on each in the colder months or with stiffer strings.

Gut mains 54 with poly cross at 50 is probably a good place to start. I take the same approach with multi mains and poly crosses and use similar tensions.
I'm actually considering something like that, but I want to find a good tension maintaining poly before I do that. If Iontec keeps holding, I might try it again with a tension difference. 4 lbs difference doesn't seem like much to me, either, but by the time gut loses 8-10% and a poly loses 30%, you're now looking at about 50/35, and that scares me. The tension loss won't be a concern to a pro for obvious reasons, but it is relevant for those of us who are going to use the same setup for more than one match.

Last edited by Ramon : 05-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote