View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #3808
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default The Fantum disappeared after awhile

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the WeissCANNON Big Fantum 16.

Stringing: I followed the recommendation to string the Fantum 5% higher so I did it at 63. It's a fairly thick multi with a textured coating which made pulling crosses slightly more difficult but nothing too bad.

Tension it is strung: 63 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16 @ 57#
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High powered multi
Feel: Good
Tension maintenance: Only 9.2% loss until I cut it out
Price: $12.90/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I had high hopes for this string and it was good but not great.

Serve/Return of Serve: Serves were the best part of this string. The extra pop was nice on 1st serves and the extra spin due to the textured coating was great on 2nd serves.

Strokes: Spin was good but control was lacking some due to the extra pop. Slices were about average.

Volleys: Average, wish I had more to say!

Touch shots: Drop shots were mostly good. A few sailed a little long for me.

Softness: Even at 63 pounds, this one is definitely good for sore arms like mine right now.

Tension: If I had to try it again, I might up the tension to 65. It did not lose much tension but it seems like once it dropped below 60 pounds, I could not control the ball any longer. After 2 straight games of hitting a few balls close to the back fence, I had to end the playtest.

Durability: I got about 5 sets of singles on it before I cut it out. It is fairly thick so I think it would have stayed intact quite a bit longer.

Movement: String movement was about average for a multi. It really stayed locked in place well at first.

Conclusion: For those wanting some more power and a spinnier multi, this is a string worth considering. For me, the extra pop was unwelcome once I was engaged in a rally.
mikeler is online now   Reply With Quote