View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #66
Gizo
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
You're kidding me right? The majority of backhands I've seen so far at the FO on the women's side are moonballs. It's a joke.
LOL the women hit far flatter than the men do. Stosur is one of the few WTA players who hit the ball with heavy topspin.

In terms of aesthetics, I think that Henin's backhand probably looked 'prettier' during the earlier stages of her career, but it was still wreaking havoc on the tour back then. Commentators were waxing lyrical about it at the 2001 French Open and Wimbledon tournaments. Still an amazing shot throughout her career.

Her return of serve was very good for a one hander (Mauresmo's or Sabatini's backhand returns really didn't come close), her slices and drop shots were every effective, and it was an excellent rally shot on all surfaces.

Another reason why I rated Henin's backhand over Mauresmo's is that Mauresmo often used to hit cross court with her backhand too much and be scared to hit it down the line, while Henin's was to happy to hit in either direction. Mauresmo's cross court backhand may have been slightly better than Henin's, but Henin's backhand down the line was clearly better.

At her peak from 2003-2007 she had arguably the best forehand on the tour and one of the top 3 backhands.
Gizo is offline   Reply With Quote