View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #30
PowerServe
New User

TT's advice is sound, but only to an extend. Whether the intention is there or not, it seems people are being lead to believe that as SOON as they think they have tennis elbow or some sort of knee problem, the simple cure is to hop down and perform a few slow, controlled push ups or extensions to increase the blood flow.

He's right in the way that blood flow to an injured area heals. It's our body's natural response to surge healing agents via blood flow to an inflicted area. The problem arises when TOO MUCH healing agent is shuttled in. When this happens, these agents can and will be hardened into caclium deposits in and around the injured area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulam
I'm sure I have TE. I feel pain in the beginning of hitting but once my arm is warm it feels better. However, I have limited elbow bend. There is something that is hard that is stuck between the joints. Will an mri be the proper tool to see what it is? I tried x-ray but it isn't detailed enough. All am doing now is getting a good warm before I play which seems to work. I think those exercises might remove the pain.
The hard thing you feel here could be calcuim deposits from an untreated injury, but an MRI will reveal the exact cause.

Aspirin and ICE is used immediately after an injury to control and somewhat limit the immediate blood flow to the injured area. Our body's are Advanced Machines and WILL send more 'healing agent' than is necessary for immediate use. What 'hangs around' and isn't used by the body for healing purposes is in turn hardened into calcium deposits.

Once the body's natural increased blood flow to the injured area is under control through icing, heat is used to slightly increase the flow of blood and to begin the healing process.

So TT is right that heat will heal, but be careful not to let an injury be 'free and on its own' or it can cause problems.

PServe
www.TennisFitnessTips.com
PowerServe is offline   Reply With Quote