View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
1HBH Rocks
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevelDevil View Post
Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much of a risk OP is willing to take and how much time he's willing to dedicate.

A full Federer stroke has more potential, however getting near that potential will be further in the future (measured in court time), and may never come at all if he doesn't get a feel for it. Only the OP can decide whether this is a risk and commitment worth taking. Although he seems to be a die-hard Fed fan, so I'd guess he'll jump straight into the Fed forehand. But even if this is the case, I think a reasonable way to arrive at the Fed forehand is via Delpo's.
Federer's forehand isn't the only example of forehand which achieves pronation at the end of the take back. Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Berdych, Cilic, Safin all do it and they do not all swing with a straight arm, if you notice.

And, seriously, it's more complicated? I told you, you can do like these guys above and ensure the most consistent way you can find to achieve great contact at high speed or, like most people, you supinate. You will do one of the three methods -- I don't know about the third, but I surely know the first one (pronation) is correlated to higher swinging speed and spin production on average. Of course, some compensate the movement and hit more flat with it (Cilic and Berdych), but that's not the point.

Your arm, you see, will supinate in the forward swing. If you don't pronate, you risk opening your racket face too early and players who do that are force to fool around with their racket face to keep it closed at contact. That's a mess and that's complicated to do -- yet most players play this way.