View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #3817
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default Discho Acura Control does what it says (Control)

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Discho Acura Control 17. It was fairly easy to string and looks exactly like Klip Venom.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Above Average
Tension maintenance: According to RacquetTune, it came off the stringer at 65.1 pounds and ended up at 53.8 pounds before I cut it out.
Price: $7.99/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This string reminds me quite a bit of Klip Venom and it looks like it too. Perhaps it is Klip Venom, but it feels different (better) in the 17g if that is the case.

Serve/Return of Serve: Serves were about average. I did like this string for returns. It just seemed to give me some confidence to go for it more.

Strokes: Spin was probably slightly below average but the control was so good, it did not bother me much. It just had a nice predictable response on shots.

Volleys: Volleys are pretty good with this string. Usually these softer multis don't shine at net but this one was better than most soft strings up there.

Touch shots: This is pretty good for touch shots. Seemed like the drop shot was working well most days I used this string.

Softness: A top 10 multi for softness. Very comfy for my tender elbow.

Tension: Seemed pretty good at 60 pounds.

Durability: I think I got 6 sets of singles and 4 sets of doubles with this. That is pretty good for a 17g multi. I ended up cutting the string out because a few crosses had lost their outer coating and breakage appeared to be imminent. It turns out that just putting one of the scissor blades on the string with very light pressure was enough to snap it.

Movement: String movement was normal for a multi meaning it moves a decent amount.

Conclusion: This is a very nice offering for the price and is my favorite 17g multi to date. I'm still a 16g kind of guy, but for those who prefer 17g this one may be worth a look.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote