Thread: Gator Updates
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
bluetrain4
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
Yea, I think that what will be crucial for him is:

1) lock down the state of Florida every year by getting the top 1 or 2 players to commit
2) supplement the roster with other southeast kids before looking abroad
3) prove that he can develop guys as well as he did with females like Miller, McDowell, O'Neil and Falconi
4) consistently finish top 2 in the SEC and be a national contender every year

I think he can do this within 5 years
Is No. 1 on your list really possible? (I'm asking seriously, not being snarky). Florida is a true "tennis state" and whoever is No. 1 and 2. coming out of the state each year will have multiple offers from top programs. While in-state talent often is attracted to their home state's university, there are always the kids who want to get away or who are mesmerized by one of the elite programs.

Obviously, that shouldn't change the goal of getting the top 1 or 2 players, and even if it doesn't happen every year, it still might happen often enough. Furthermore, if Florida does have success relatively quickly and consistently, that could obviously change the recuriting dynamic as it becomes an even more attractive destination.

I've always wondered why Florida, while a very good program, hasn't been able to get to that next level. Great recruiting base, great weather, great facilities, and even though the first thing I think of when I think of the University of Florida is football and sports in general, it's actually a very, very good school (with a nice campus to boot).

Last edited by bluetrain4 : 06-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
bluetrain4 is offline   Reply With Quote