View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvaise View Post
Why would you automatically assume it wouldn't be? Of course a lot of people don't know what they're talking about - but a lot of people *do*. I don't see why, without any evidence to the contrary, you'd automatically jump to the negative conclusion.
The reason I assume most advice by recreational players is of minimal value is my own experience. Most rec players (4.5 and below) have a poor understanding of stroke mechanics, and many are pretty lame with strategy too.

Believe me, I do not have to go back to ancient history to find examples of rec players giving advice when they have no clue what they are talking about it. Let's take this week as an example. A doubles player cheerfully showed me her new grip for serving: EF. She had been using Continental, but she was abandoning it because the pros all use Eastern FH for serving, she said. Oy.

So yeah. There is a lot of bad advice to be had, and I would say most advice rec players give is either wrong or just not the right diagnosis or prescription to fix the problem. Most people would do better to leave the coaching to the professionals.