View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #36
JediMindTrick
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi heretic
If increasing blood flow to the area is the key, then why take the aspirin and ice the joint? ..Both of these treatments are (I think I have the right term here..) vasoconstrictive - they work to "reduce" blood flow to the area.

Before resorting to surgery to my right elbow for TE, I received about 12 prolo-therapy shots which are intended to also increase blood flow to the injured tendon attachment. These are essentially injections of sugar water meant to "irritate" the injured site so as to bring more blood (basically cause an inflamatory response). After receiving these shots (from an orthopaedist) I was told NOT to ice the joint. Man, they hurt like hell. Unfortunately, in my case they were compeletly ineffective. I elected to have arthroscopic surgery last September, and I'm now finally able to play pain free (currently play twice/ week).

However I do agree with your premise - that tennis elbow is an injury that persists because of inadequate blood flow to the injury. ..Contrary to popular believe (including some sports-medicine docs who should know better) tennis-elbow is NOT tendonitis (def. as "chronic swelling of a tendon), but rather it is "tendonosis" which is defined as a damaged tendon that has a diminished capacity to repair/heal due to persistant use.
I think that aspirin actually dilates the blood vessels so it will increase the blood flow. But you are right about the ice.
JediMindTrick is offline   Reply With Quote